Vital Statistics and Registry
Marriage License Application
There is NO fee to apply for a marriage license effective July 1st, 2022-June 30, 2023.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (201) 825-3400 ext. 245 for inquires.
Where To Apply:
If you are planning to be married in New Jersey, state law requires that you apply in the town where either of the applicants live. If neither of the applicants lives in New Jersey, then you apply in the town where the marriage ceremony is going to take place. If you are being married in another state, you must apply in the state where you plan to be married.
By Appointment Only
The Registrar is located on the second floor of the Municipal Building.
- 33 N. Central Ave, Ramsey, New Jersey 07446.
- Call 201-825-3400 ext. 245 to schedule an appointment or email email@example.com
- Registrar Hours: 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday; last appointment is at 4:00pm
Who Must Come To Apply:
- Both applicants - Both applicants must appear in our office to apply for a marriage license together or separately with the same witness.
- Witness - One witness, who is over 18 years of age is required to be present
What To Bring:
- Proof of identity such as your driver’s license, passport, or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of residency – Driver’s license, utility bill, lease agreement, or tax bill
- Your social security card or social security number*
- A witness, 18 years of age or older
- Marriage Officiant Information – Applicants should have information about who is going to marry them, where, and when, which includes a mailing address and phone number for the officiant.
- *Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential. Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Three (3) Day Waiting Period:
In New Jersey there is a mandatory three (3) day or 72 hours waiting period from the time that you apply for a license until you can pick it up for use. If you are planning to be married on a particular weekend, the latest that you can apply is the Tuesday before, in order to satisfy the three days (72 hours) by Friday, since we are NOT open on the weekends for the release of marriage licenses. Once you pick it up the license is valid for 30 days.
Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses, Death Certificates, Civil Unions, and Birth Certificates
- Please note the registrar will not confirm or deny the existence of a record being on file without an application being completed. For security purposes the registrar will not disclose over the phone if we are in receipt of a record.
Where do I apply for certified copies?
- Applications for certified copies should be made in the municipality in which the event took place.
- Certified copies can also be obtained through the New Jersey Office of Vital Statistics and Registry or their website.
- The New Jersey Office of Vital Statistics and Registry will issue certifications and certified copies if you need an Apostle Seal (this does not apply to all applicants).
How do I apply for certified copies of a vital record?
- An application for certified copies must be filled out in its entirety.
- The applicant must be able to completely identify the record. There are no exceptions, if the record cannot be identified as prescribed on the application, certified copies cannot be issued.
- Application can be submitted by mail or in person.
- If an application is submitted by mail, please provide a self-addressed stamped envelope that matches the address on the application and proof of residency for the record to be returned.
How much do certified copies cost?
- $10.00 (ten dollars) per copy you would like to request.
- Checks/Money Orders are payable to "Borough of Ramsey"
- CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED*
Why do I need a certified copy?
- Certified copies, with a raised seal, are the true copy of a primary document; the 3rd white copy that is retained by the couple after the ceremony is not a legal document.
- After a marriage/ civil union you will need certified copies to do the following:
- Change your name with Motor Vehicles, Social Security, banking, insurance coverage, passport, for your records, etc.
What is needed to apply for certified copies?
- Provide proof of relationship to the individual on the record
- Provide proof of identification
- Proof of residency (the proof of residency must match what is written on the application)
What are acceptable forms of identification for the issuance of certified copies?
- A valid photo driver’s license with current address (primary- no secondary documentation listed below required)
- A valid photo non-driver’s license with current address (primary- no secondary documentation listed below required)
- A valid driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address (secondary documentation listed below required)
What are acceptable forms of proof of residency for the issuance of certified copies?
- (Two (2) of the following will be required if you are not able to provide valid proof of identification listed above one of which must have an address)
*please note that the State has decided that a lease or deed no longer suffices as proof of residency*
*For more information please contact the Registrar
- Application for a Non-genealogical Certification or Certified Copy
- Application for a Non-genealogical Certification or Certified Copy (Spanish)
- Application for a Genealogical Certification or Certified Copy of a Record
- Genealogical Vital Records Request (Spanish)
- Application Requirements for Certified Copies
- Applying for a Marriage or Civil Union License in New Jersey